If you frequently suffer from headaches, fatigue, irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, lungs…or have trouble concentrating while indoors at work, and then feel relief when outdoors, there’s a good chance there’s an indoor air quality problem at your workplace. Buildings have become more and more airtight over the years in an effort to increase energy efficiency, and as a result, dirty, stale air gets locked inside. That air you breathe for eight or more hours each workday can be full of gases, germs and various polluting particles that can have a negative effect on allergies and overall health.
Some facts about the air you breathe:
- According to the EPA, indoor air is typically 2-5 times and up to 100 times more polluted than outside air.
- Everyday materials like carpet, building materials and paint release harmful gases into the air.
- The American Lung Association estimates most people spend 90% of their time indoors breathing ultra fine particles, germs and gases.
- The particles lurking inside your commercial building can cause illness, allergies and asthma.
- Poor ventilation (lack of outside air), problems controlling temperature, low humidity, recent remodeling and other activities in or near a building can affect fresh air coming into your building (OSHA).
There are a variety of ways to improve indoor air quality. Here are some things to consider at your workplace:
- Open windows if possible to enable natural ventilation.
- Opt for mild, non-toxic or biodegradable cleaning products.
- Opt for non-toxic pest control methods if possible, especially indoors.
- Avoid wall-to-wall synthetic carpet.
- Ensure any high moisture areas are well ventilated to avoid growth of mold and mildew.
Our technology can help!
To ensure your workplace has the highest quality indoor air, contact our team at American Comfort Heating and Air Conditioning at 847 403-7010. We’re experts at diagnosing and improving air quality in commercial buildings, and with a combination of methods can prevent indoor air contamination for customers in Elk Grove Village and surrounding Chicago communities. We use advanced air cleaning systems to extract harmful gasses and other materials from your air. And we offer air treatment systems that constantly disinfect and deodorize the air you breathe.
Our IAQ & ventilation services include:
- Zone heating and cooling assessments and solutions
- Duct repair/installation
- UV lighting
- Ventilation installation, repair and maintenance
- Programmable thermostats
- Air handler installation, repair and maintenance
- Retrofit zoning
- Zoning control for small duct, high velocity (SDHV) systems
If you spend a significant portion of your waking hours indoors at a Chicago-area workplace each week, contact us to make sure the air you’re breathing is the best it can possibly be! And if you want to ensure the same quality for the air you breathe at home, call residential HVAC specialists, and our colleagues, at American Comfort’s One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning. Whether at work, or at home, we can help you breathe easier and stay healthier all year long!